Ups and downs are a fact of life. However, for small business owners establishing their place in the market (and in the heart of consumers), the downs can be long, hard and taxing.
Instant success is rarely the rule when it comes to building a business, and especially for those ‘idea people’ entirely new to sales, marketing and management, the road to victory (or to making any kind of sustainable income) is often bumpy and full of obstacles.
But, one must carry on, get back up and keep moving forward. Thanks to the recurring hurdles and constant challenge, growth is inevitable and drives those willing to use it.
10 tips to beat the entrepreneur’s slump:
- Confirm your goals and define milestones. This will help you define your path, reinforce your ‘why’ and meaningful goals, and appreciate your progressive achievement.
- Get strong. Entrepreneurship will never be for the passive, faint-hearted and gutless. Work on developing a strong success mindset, so that you can always grow from your setbacks and keep moving forward. Develop a positive, courageous, productive attitude.
- Mind your health. Always make time to keep fit, relax, and enjoy life.
- Prevent overwhelm. Keep things organised and work with a manageable to-do list. Get some help; grow your team, develop partnerships, or outsource!
- Seek advice and express yourself. Share your experiences with a mentor, coach, networking group, friend or family member. Why not go public and share it all on social media or your blog!
- Express gratitude. Appreciate how far you’ve come, and how powerful you are at realising your greatest dreams! Be thankful for the amazing opportunities surrounding you (and don’t forget to grab a few!).
- ‘Just do it’. Sometimes waiting for the right emotion prevents action. While you take action and ‘just do’ what you have to do, the motivation and enthusiasm will follow.
- Take a break. If it’s all too much, take a break. It’s often a great opportunity to recharge and gain new insight on your goals and projects.
- Get empowered. Develop new skills and knowledge to get more productive, confident and competent.
- Focus on the process, while trusting the outcome. Celebrate small successes often. Enjoy the ride. Find creative ways to inject more fun and passion in your work. Trust that, through consistent and inspired action, you WILL accomplish your goals.
Life’s up and downs provide windows of opportunity to determine your values and goals.
Think of using all obstacles as stepping stones to build the life you want.
~ Marsha Sinetar
Here’s to learning, growing, rising and achieving great things!